[CentOS] Anyone know why this wouldn't be valid mbox format?

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Fri Oct 14 15:02:51 UTC 2005

Quoting Preston Crawford <me at prestoncrawford.com>:

> Trying to get my wife's emails out of a proprietary format and into mbox
> for use on our local box. Doing some major file munging. In a test email
> the following doesn't work. (forgetting dates, email addresses, etc.)
>
> From heraddress at herdomain.com Wed Oct  10 11:50:44 2005 -0700
> From heraddress at herdomain.com Wed Oct  9 11:50:44 2005 -0700
>
> This is just me munging files and trying them in Pine.
>
> Any idea why the first doesn't work and the second does?

I guess it is the amount of spaces that confuses pine.  Being lazy to
check what
the standards actually say, I've checked how the 'From ' lines generated by
procmail (when used as MDA by sendmail) look like.  They have two spaces after
email address, single space after month name in date format (with day in month
space padded, so you get two spaces after month if day is single
digit), and no
time zone info.  Try something like this and see if Pine is going to be happy
with it (should be):

 From heraddress at herdomain.com  Wed Oct 10 11:50:44 2005
 From heraddress at herdomain.com  Wed Oct  9 11:50:44 2005