[CentOS] Hosed by 4.2

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 17 12:18:10 UTC 2005

Karanbir Singh wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> Robert wrote:
>
>>> why did you manually need to install the kernel ?
>>

>> Because a "yum update kernel" offered to install the -SMP kernel.
>> This is, no doubt, an artifact of anaconda & associates deciding at
>> the time CentOS4 was first installed that an SMP kernel was
>> appropriate for an Athlon XP in an ASUS A7NX8 ver.2 deluxe m/b,
>> compounded by my packrat reluctance to throw it away at the outset.
>

> if you remove the kernel-smp ( which, based on your statement - you
> dont seem to be using) yum should not update it :) technically, only
> packages already installed are updated ( or pkgs that satisfy depends
> for other pkgs ).
>
> Anyway, if anaconda left behind a smp kenel on UP machine, sounds like
> a bugreport to me.....

Not only leaves it behind but configures GRUB to make SMP the default.
Drives NTP nuts!  I should be shot for not removing it when I first
installed CentOS4.  It'll be gone when the smoke clears from my upcoming
exercise.

>> I'm reasonably sure everything is gonna be O.K. Yum is one of the
>> packages that gets reported twice:
>

> sounds like you are going to have a fun filled Monday morning. I
> forsee rpm and coffee in your immediate future. Be a good idea to
> backup the rpmdb somewhere. Just in case.
>
> remove everything apart from the Packages file from /var/lib/rpm -
> then rebuild the db ( rpm -v --rebuilddb ). then try work with the -V
> option to verify what you have what rpm thinks you have.
>
> - K

Thanks for the advice. My Monday and Tuesday have already been scheduled
for other joyous tasks, so I'll attack this fiasco Wednesday.  (Now that
I'm retired, I wonder almost daily how the hell I ever had time to work!)
At any rate, I've already burned /var/lib/rpm to a CD and I'll have a
brand new full backup by about 3:00 AM Wednesday.