[CentOS] Update 4.2 broke LVM

Patrick Lawrence (CentOS) xxagGxOGLGlkHPZkvyxc at patsoffice.com
Mon Oct 17 15:47:53 UTC 2005

> When rebooting, I was forced to the login prompt, because my LVM  group
> with my home directory couldn't be mounted.
> I'm not very familiar with LVM, I had only used it to make one
> consolidated directory for my 100 and 160GB hard drives.

I have the same issue.  I've got a volume group spread across 2 disks
and when I try to activate that volgroup I get the following:

[root at hetfield mapper]# vgchange -ay VolGroup02
   device-mapper ioctl cmd 9 failed: Invalid argument
   Couldn't load device 'VolGroup02-DVD'.
   1 logical volume(s) in volume group "VolGroup02" now active

and the relevant portion of the /var/log/messages has:

Oct 17 08:45:07 hetfield kernel: device-mapper: dm-linear: Device lookup
Oct 17 08:45:07 hetfield kernel: device-mapper: error adding target to table

My other two volgroups are working fine.  It's just this third one that
has problems.

I did quite a bit of googling yesterday, but I didn't come up with much
although I have to confess that I know jack about the device mapper...