[CentOS] Thanks, good bye, and an observation from a newbie.

Robert roberth at abbacomm.net
Mon Oct 17 19:18:41 UTC 2005

} Chris wrote:
} Heh.  After a month (or more) of handholding and triggering some of the
} hairiest catfights on the list in ages, he switches distros....to start
} it all over again....so he can get his mp3 player app to work.  8-)

greetings,

i kind of got a chuckle too. only because i watched this from the get go as
well.

ive been watching the follow ups as well and decided to use Chris's post as
a jump in.

one thing, unless my eyes totally deceived me, Dave was respectful. I
appreciated that quite a bit.

i mostly expected him to stay with CentOS as initially his biggest concern
was being able to switch back and forth between English and Japanese wasn't
it?

so, it is somewhat humorous that someone would bail on CentOS, (imho) the
best and most stable Linux distro, over a multimedia app situation.

Wisdom cries out that we should learn from and apply the lesson(s) from this
situation.

i do not know it all, nor do i have time to keep up with everything "linux",
yet having used linux since 1993, what i see needed is a section on the
www.centos.org website for "new to linux people" that will adequately
describe and deal with the initial questions and some professional CentOS
salesmanship that is needed to attract and retain people to this cause.

i would entitle it "for the new user" or same with "considering CentOS?" or
whatever is right and works.

maybe a "who, what, where, why, when, how much" kinda thing. make some
specific trial and error recommendations. get some testimony from new people
that have stayed with CentOS after migrations from M$ or other operating
systems.

teach ways to migrate that make it less frightening and/or painful in the
short and the long run.

i recommend identical parallel machines, yet most people cannot afford that.
so, teach installing a second hard drive and/or a multi boot scenmario or
whatever needs to be done.

ask to get people involved that use CentOS as a desktop and go for it!!

comments anyone?????

anyways, thanks to everyone that puts in the time for this distro.

 - rh

--
Robert Hanson - Abba Communications
Computer & Internet Services