[CentOS] CentOS-4/beta/preview version immediate availability

Pasi Pirhonen upi at iki.fi
Mon Oct 17 21:23:49 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 10:58:58PM +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:
> realy???
> hi,
> where does his release come from? afaik there is no sparc port of rhel,
> the only try is aurora linux but it's been standing for years.
> i hope it'll be integrated into the mainstream centos tree. will it be
> in the main centos mirrors?
>
> thanks again!!!

This comes from me (one of centos core. ia64, s390, s390x maintainer
and CentOS-4/alpha(axp) maintainer).

This has been 'under construction' long time. I started working with
this really after finnishing the 4.1beta for alpha/axp late Jun this
year.

CentOS-4/alpha and CentOS-4/sparc as just trying to follow CentOS-4
official arches as closely as possible. Making mods to only to packages
that really needs it, so maintenance burden for these are minimized.
The goal having other supported arches beoynd official ones.

My goal is to start working on finalizing this soonish and being able
to say 'it's release' as of CentOS-4.3 time. It worked quite good on
alpaha for 4.1beta -> 4.2rel, but dunno about sparc yet (ie. this is
not promise to cruch it as release for 4.3 timeline).

I start making the security updates to this 4.2beta too tho
immetiatedly even tho there will be no security announcements for it
before it really is release.

The yum should be configured to take care of this pretty much
automatically (updates). There are updated openssl as i didn't spot
quite all that needed to be changed while making the SRPM for sparc.
Todays security updates are there too.

I'll push the sparcv9 glibc there soonish as i've now pretty confident
it won't break the db4/rpm as oen could see happening on 1.92 or
Aurora. Sparc (as is ppc too tho) is funny that way that you can't have
your normal running/distributed distro as build host. There are a lot
of things that has to be differently on build host.

I just wanted to get this out for testers and maybe get some feedback
to be able to make it release some distant day.

I am pretty confident that this will evolve a good robust distro.

--
Pasi Pirhonen - upi at iki.fi - http://iki.fi/upi/