[CentOS] CentOS-4/beta/preview version immediate availability

Pasi Pirhonen upi at iki.fi
Tue Oct 18 21:08:02 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 03:53:56PM -0500, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Hm, one interesting thing.  Building packages with rpmbuild, they are
> compiled
> for sparc (32-bit userland), but tagged as sparc64.  I've checked the
> binaries
> with the file command (and ldd too), and they are really 32-bit binaries.  I
> also attempted to do --target=sparc, but got the same thing (32-bit
> binaries in
> package marked as sparc64).

that would be the part, i said about 'running machine can't be
configured as build machine'.

For starters there are command 'sparc32bash', which will partly hide
the fact machine running 64bit kernel. Same thing applies for ppc64
where the userspace is 32bit.

Secondly it's much more easy to compile stuff as sparc32 when one
alters the /etc/rpm/platform from sparc64-redhat-linux to
sparc-redhat-linux. I really don't yet know how to handla all this
_properly_. This is something to be resolved before actual release
time.

The sparc32/sparc32bash is basic stuff under sparc/sparc64 compilation.

Anothet thing is that i intentionally left out all the other bits and
pieces of 64bit userspace than glibc/glibc-devel. I have to do some
work on this area and sort out what bits and pieces i am actually
inclusing on installation media and what is pushed to extras or
something. Some of those are runtime and some ofg those are just parts
that are really needed to be able to build 64bit parts. Even then i
have to play tricks for some parts of 64bit to make it build.

Most of those are needs for 64bit gcc to build. These days the damn
thing needs about half of the universe to even build.

So i am not intentionally hiding anything. There are selections made on
those installation images. The initial version is made to be
_installable_ and not perfect.

--
Pasi Pirhonen - upi at iki.fi - http://iki.fi/upi/