[CentOS] 4.1 being dropped from mirrors

Wed Oct 19 15:38:46 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 17:24 +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > Just to let everyone know that the CentOS 4.1 tree will be dropped from
> > the mirrors shortly, since 4.2 has now been out for a week. If anyone
> > has their yum config's hardwired to point at 4.1 - those config's will
> > now stop working.
> >
> > The 4.1 repo's will be available at http://vault.centos.org/ once they
> > are removed from http://mirror.centos.org/ ( and all external mirrors ).
> >
> > If you wish to stay with 4.1, keep in mind that updates and security
> > fix's are no longer pushed out for 4.1, and therefore we recommend
> > everyone moves to 4.2, if you have not already done so.
>
> why not happend the same with the 3.x dirs?
It is the same as the 3.x distros

the 3.x distros all point to the latest distro  ... 3, 3.1, 3.3, 3.4 and
3.5 are all 3.5 (everything is a symlink to 3.5).

Just like with the upstream provider ... they do not have a EL4 update 1
section and an el4 update 2 section, etc.  If you use up2date or RHN to
update a machine, it is updated to the latest EL4 updates.  That is
exactly the same thing that will happen if you are using CentOS-4.