[CentOS] 4.1 being dropped from mirrors

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 16:57:22 UTC 2005

> I thought each release of Centos had a longer support life
> cycye than this.

It does.
You're confusing major/minor versions. Centos4 will be around for
ages, centos 4.1 is centos 4, plus the quarterly security updates etc,
all rolled up in a new iso, so that you don't have to immediately
download 200 updates after installing 4.0.

4.2 is 4.1, plus the next quarterly update.. and so on. It's not a new
version, it's a rollup of the major version, plus updates. Same with
version 3.

hughesjr had a link on centos.org at one time explaining the naming
convention and it's relation to upstream vendor versions. I seem to
have lost the link, but perhaps it's time to trot that out again. If
someone following this thread has the link to version/naming
convention, please post again to help clarify this.

> What then is the difference (in this respect) then between
> Centos and Fedora Core?

Fedora core releases a new major version 2-3 times a year. centos
releases a minor version update (essentially security errata rollup.
think "windows servicepack" for lack of a better analogy) every few
months.

--
Jim Perrin
System Administrator - UIT