[CentOS] 4.1 being dropped from mirrors

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Oct 19 17:04:23 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 19 October 2005 13:00, BRUCE STANLEY wrote:
> Does this mean if Red Hat comes out with more updates for RHEL 4.1
> you will not apply them to Centos 4.1 anny more?

Bruce, there is no such thing as RHEL 4.1.  There is a RHEL4, update set 1 (a
snapshot of updates, released quarterly).  But RHEL 4.1 does not exist.  Nor
does RHEL 4.2, for that matter.  Nor will they ever exist; the next version
of RHEL will likely be version 5 (there is no .0 there, either).

Read "CentOS 4.2" as "CentOS 4, quarterly update rollup 2".  I believe the use
of a minor version number is a mistake for this reason, but that is the way
CentOS does it.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology