[CentOS] kernel sourcecode ?

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 17:29:51 UTC 2005

> On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 16:26 +0100, Mário Gamito wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > No, that's not that. You're mistaken.
> >
> > Until 4.1, there was a kernel-sourcecode-2.6.9 RPM.
> > Now in there isn't.
> >
> > So, again, where is the kernel's sourcecode ?
> >
> > Warm Regards,
> > Mário Gamito
> >
> The Kernel sourcecode is not like kernel-source.  It is a noarch rpm
> that does not get arch specific patches added to the source, making it
> relatively worthless as a package for building kernels.
>
> Because of that, and because it is not down by either fedora or the
> upstream provider, we are also no longer producing a kernel-sourcecode
> rpm.
>
> If one needs a full kernel tree, they can download the kernel SRPM from
> here:
>
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/os/SRPMS/
>
> OR
>
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/updates/SRPMS/
>
> Then install the source with the command:
>
> rpm -i kernel-xxxx.src.rpm
>
> Then go to the SPECS directory  (Usually /usr/src/redhat/SPECS) and get
> a full kernel tree with the command:
>
> rpmbuild -bp --target i686 kernel-2.6.spec
>
> (substitute your target arch)
>
> Then go to the BUILD directory and you will have a real (and patched)
> tree:
>
> cd ../BUILD

I'd follow that up with this how-to for proper kernel rebuilds on rpm
based distros so that rpm knows about your new kernel.  It's not
directly for centos, but the ideas and basics are the same.

http://crab-lab.zool.ohiou.edu/kevin/kernel-compilation-tutorial-en/

--
Jim Perrin
System Administrator - UIT