[CentOS] Centos 4.2 and Boot/Root on RAID?

Steve Bergman

steve at rueb.com
Thu Oct 20 14:59:40 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have a client that insists on going with software rather than hardware
raid1 to save a few dollars.

Can Centos 4.2 do Boot and Root on software Raid1?

I've heard criticisms of Grub and bootable RAID.  Also, if it is not set
up to work out of the box, I'd like to try to talk them out of it.

I've been down that road before.  If I go nonstandard, by the time I
actually need to boot from the second drive in an emergency, I've
forgotten the special procedure.

(Why can't businesses just spend a few extra dollars to do things right?!)

Thanks for any info.

-Steve