[CentOS] Which imapd?

Ajay Sharma ssharma at revsharecorp.com
Mon Oct 24 03:21:50 UTC 2005

Morten wrote:

> I'd prefer one where I don't have to build my own packages (no Courier,
> unless packages exist).

I just installed the latest courier-imapd today and it's really easy to
build the packages (this is all from memory, so there may be slight typos):

1) log in as root and install rpm-devel (if it's not already installed)

2) 'su - user' [su to a "normal" user]

3) echo "%_topdir    /home/user/rpm" > .rpmmacros
    [replace 'user' with your username]

4) mkdir -p  rpm/BUILD rpm/RPMS/i386 rpm/SOURCES rpm/SPECS rpm/SRPMS

5) download courier-imapd-XXX.bz2 and courier-authlib-XXX.bz2

6) rpmbuild -ta courier-authlib-XXX.bz2
    [ it will probably ask for requirements like postgresql and mysql,
just 'yum install' them for the build, you can remove them later]

7) as root, rpm -Uvh ~user/rpm/RPMS/i386/courier-authlib-XXX.rpm
    [and the devel package too]

8) back as the user, build imap with:
      rpmbuild -ta courier-imapd-XXX.bz2
(you may need other packages to build this too, like fam-devel, just
install them to make it happy, and remove them later)

9) as root, rpm -Uvh ~user/rpm/RPMS/i386/courier-imapd-XXX.rpm

10) start it up:
/etc/init.d/courier-authlib start
/etc/init.d/courier-imapd start

If your users are all normal system users and you don't need any fancy
mysql/ldap lookups, you should be all set.  Going this route makes it
really easy to keep updated and you don't have to wait for package