[CentOS] Two small issues after upgrade to 4.2 -- [OT] IPv4 LINKLOCAL

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 22:11:44 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 16:55, Scot L. Harris wrote:

> If you disable zeroconf the 169.254 entry is dropped.  What use is it?
> Nothing I have found explains what it is used for or why I need it on my
> systems.  Waving your hands and saying don't be bothered by the
> existence of such entries does not explain what it is used for.  Getting
> rid of it does not impact the systems either.  Kind of like an appendix.
> :)

The idea is that you can plug machines into a local network and have
them talk to each other with no setup and no preconfigured DHCP service.
Each picks some more-or-less random and hopefully unique address in
this subnet.  Windows boxes will do it if a DHCP request times out.
Machines can find and access each other by name with broadcast based
naming like netbios or dns over multicast like rendezvous.

  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com