[CentOS] vsftpd failing since upgrade to 4.2

Mon Oct 24 23:56:41 UTC 2005

On 10/25/05, scott <scott.list at mlec.net> wrote:
> Matt & Joe.  Permissions appeared OK.  I ever tried making the files 777
> just to test, no luck.  I uninstalled (yum remove) and reinstalled vsftpd.
> It did not change the files ownership or permission as far as I see, but now
> it's working (again).

Hello Scott,

It's great that your system's working again.

I'm really suspecting that it was your SELinux permissions that were
messed up that time. SELinux puts additional access controls on your
files, so even if you did chmod your files to 777, it may still
disallow your from accessing it (even if you are root).

To determine if it's SELinux, what you do is just do a tail -f on
/var/log/messages and if you're getting "AVC Denied" errors, that's
SELinux preventing you. If you want to view the SELinux context of
your files, what you do is to just put a -Z flag on your ls -l. To
change the permissions, use the chcon utility.

--
Stand before it and there is no beginning.
Follow it and there is no end.