[CentOS] Which imapd?

Tue Oct 25 13:54:12 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 13:30 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> >>why should I ?
> > To get a proof that cyrus* is not so trivial to install/configure :)
>
> you seem to miss the point completely, this is CentOS were talking about
> - there are inherint benefits of running a stable consolidated distro,
> one of which is that s/w on the distro works as expected.

OK ... I think the points that Karabir are trying to make (or at least
the ones I want to make) are these:

1.  The question was not what is the easiest or recommend imapd to use
on debian (or mandriva, ubuntu, slackware, fedora core, gentoo, free
bsd, hpux, aix, windows 2003 server, or any other OS) ... it was what is
the best imap server to use on CentOS ... and I believe that it was even
CentOS-4.x

2.  If we are asked that question, and if there is an included package
to meet the requirements in CentOS, we will normally tell people the
best included solution ... simply because those packages are already
designed/packaged to work with the other packages included with the
distro.

3.  If someone knows how to use another package, it might be easier for
that person to bring their old package over instead of using a new
package in the distro ... BUT ... if you are starting from scratch (and
not bringing over old data), it would probably be better to use a
package that is included in the distro that you are choosing.  I
personally would think this holds true no matter what distro you
ultimately choose to use.

4.  If you want to discuss the ins and outs of installing packages on
other distros (except maybe to compare that install to CentOS), there
are better places to discuss that ... especially to discuss it in
depth ... like either the package's mailing list or the other distro's
mailing list.

> > Thanks to not scorn Debian ... I thought that a free-software project
> > like CentOS was a little more "open", like RH or Mandriva is.

no one is trying to scorn debian ... I like debian (and gentoo as well),
but this is not a debian or gentoo mailing list.  I would not say, for
example, don't use program x in CentOS because it doesn't compile
correctly on gentoo, or because the debian config files for that program
are hosed :)

> Would people say we've actually thrashed this issue out enough ? no
> wait. Dont answer that :)

YES :)