[CentOS] Two small issues after upgrade to 4.2 -- [OT] IPv4 LINKLOCAL

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 14:20:51 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 17:53, Scot L. Harris wrote:

> > The idea is that you can plug machines into a local network and have
> > them talk to each other with no setup and no preconfigured DHCP service.
> > Each picks some more-or-less random and hopefully unique address in
> > this subnet.  Windows boxes will do it if a DHCP request times out.
> > Machines can find and access each other by name with broadcast based
> > naming like netbios or dns over multicast like rendezvous.
> I understand what it is suppose to do.  But as far as I can tell it has
> never been used.  Has anyone actually used zeroconf for this?  Other
> than to test it to see if it actually works?

My networks all have either carefully designed IP addressing schemes
or a NAT router with DHCP.  Since home NAT routers are so cheap,
I'd guess that everyone who has a small network has one, but
I don't have any reason to doubt that this address would work
with samba and windows clients on an isolated network with
no DHCP.

  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com