[CentOS] Load balancing email?

Benjamin Smith lists at benjamindsmith.com
Tue Oct 25 23:48:16 UTC 2005

Using multiple A records is good for performance balancing, but what if one of
the systems fails?

Using your cocnfiguration, the delivering mail server has an "a" record and a
single MX, so it wouldn't try the other mail server in the case of a failure,
right?

Whereas, by listing multiple IPs and mx1/mx2, wouldn't the delivering mail
server try the other address?

Thanks,

-Ben

On Tuesday 25 October 2005 16:02, you wrote:
> I once did this and it worked great:
>
>      IN    MX    10 mx.example.com.
>
> mx   IN    A    192.168.1.1
>      IN    A    192.168.1.2
>
> ...etc.  Perfect DNS load balancing.
>
> Jack
>
> Benjamin Smith wrote:
>
> >Currently, we have two mail relays for inbound messages, and a third for
POP.