[CentOS] Load balancing email?

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Wed Oct 26 05:28:47 UTC 2005

Quoting Benjamin Smith <lists at benjamindsmith.com>:

> I seem to recall that I make them act as "equals" by simply changing this to
>
> ###############################
> @isp.com
> <SNIP>
>                IN      MX      100 mx1.isp.com.
>                IN      MX      100 mx2.isp.com.
> <SNIP
> ################################

Yup, that's the way to do it.

> so that they both get about the same amount of inbound messages. Has anybody
> here actually done this? How well does this work as far as failover if either
> system fails?

As long as your DNS server is serving them in round-robin fashion, they'll get
about equal load.  Depending on default TTL, it might take some time to really
see load spread evenly (many remote systems probably have cached copy of old
information where mx1 was prefered MX).  So don't think it doesn't work if you
don't see same load on both server the second you change your DNS
settings. You might also consider lowering TTL on your MX records,
however it is
doubtfull how helpfull it is going to be.

If one system fails, everything should still work.  Incomming connections
hitting the failed server would timeout, and remote MTA would try next MX from
the list.  So you are fine there.