[CentOS] Default number of serial ports

Sean McAdam

sean at fredcom.com
Wed Oct 26 13:25:21 UTC 2005

Hi all:

My question is concerning the default number of serial ports compiled
into the standard CentOS 4.x kernel.  It looks like the default is 8, is
that correct, and is there a simple way to raise the default that
without needing to recompile the kernel?  I looked though the /proc
directories and I do not see anything there.  I have two 8 port serial
cards, which bring my total serial ports to 18 with the two on the
motherboard.  The does system assigns ttyS* to the 2 onboard, and the
first 6 on the first serial card.  I can tweak these first 6 with
setserial  and they work

My goal it avoid having to recompile the kernel from the stock disto.

Thanks!
~Sean