[CentOS] Load balancing email?

Ralph Angenendt ra+centos at br-online.de
Thu Oct 27 10:26:27 UTC 2005

Leonard Isham wrote:
> On 10/26/05, Benjamin Smith <lists at benjamindsmith.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 25 October 2005 17:09, Jay Leafey wrote:
> > > The DNS round-robin stuff does a fair job of load
> > > balancing but it's not perfect, I'm still looking into alternatives for
> > > that.
> >
> > What do you mean by "not perfect" - it's bad enough that alternatives are
> > needed?
> >

> Rpound Robin DNS keeps on handing out the IP addresses even if a
> system is down/unresponsive.

He's not really using round robin DNS, if he has mx1 *and* mx2 listed
with different IP addresses, though they have the same priority.

So if one of the servers goes down, any sane mail system (which seems to
exclude qmail in this case - no flamwars please) should try the other
MX, if the one which had been chosen first is not reachable, as this is
seen as a temporary error.

Sure, if he had only *one* hostname with two IPs, this could be a
problem.

Ralph
--
Ralph Angenendt......ra at br-online.de | .."Text processing has made it possible
Bayerischer Rundfunk...HA-Multimedia | ....to right-justify any idea, even one