[CentOS] starting a java application as a service

Brian T. Brunner brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
Thu Oct 27 16:01:36 UTC 2005

I don't recall seeing a response to this request, and I'm nothing of an expert in Java, so here's a some-what educated guess:

Where you invoke "/usr/bin/java -cp /usr/local/lib/java/jes.jar Jes $JESARGS"
put "daemon " in front of that line.
daemon /usr/bin/java -cp /usr/local/lib/java/jes.jar Jes $JESARGS
and give that a whirl.
(daemon is the function brought in by the script processor for startup
services that backgrounds/detaches  the call to the service itself

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
(610)796-5838

>>> ByrneJB at Harte-Lyne.ca 10/24/05 05:19PM >>>
I have a single requirement to launch a java application on startup
as a service.  The application is shipped in a file called jes.jar.
 It requires three arguments: a dotted quad IP address,  an initial
service port, and a translated service port.

I can get the application running as a console command.  Can
someone point me to a site that documents how to script a sys V
init.d style script so that I can run this as a daemon process?  I
tried copying a script in the age old fashion but I seem to be
missing something(s).

Lastly, I vaguely recall that there is a way to capture the pid of
a program started in the shell but I cannot find any reference to
it.  I seem to recall that the construct $! or $$ contained the
value of the last program run.  Can anyone here confirm this and/or
provide an example.

I am a digest subscriber so direct responses are appreciated (reply
to all).

Sample script

#!/bin/sh
#
# jes:          Java Encryption Server for Javelin NSTV
connections.
#
# chkconfig:    - 26 89
# 				connections for the  Javelin HP3000 NS/VT
#				emulator java applette.
#

#       Check if config file readable (and therefore exists).
[ -r /etc/sysconfig/jes ] || exit 0

#       Read and execute the config file.
.. /etc/sysconfig/jes

#       Check if variable has length zero and exit if true.
[ -z "$JESARGS" ] && exit 0

start()
{
        echo -n $"Starting jes as daemon: "
        /usr/bin/java -cp /usr/local/lib/java/jes.jar Jes $JESARGS
        touch /var/lock/subsys/jes
        echo
}

stop()
{
        echo -n $"Shutting down jes (Java Encryption Service): "
        /usr/bin/jes -K
        killproc jes

        rm -f  /var/lock/subsys/jes
        echo
}

[ -f /usr/bin/jes ] || exit 0

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
  start)
        start
        ;;
  stop)
        stop
        ;;
  restart|reload)
        stop
        start
        ;;
  condrestart)
        [ -e /var/lock/subsys/jes ] && (stop; start)
        ;;
  *)
        echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|reload|condrestart}"
        exit 1
esac

exit 0

sample configuration file:

# Options to Jes server for secure javelin connections
# VTNAME IP address of NSVT host (usually an HP3000)
VTNAME="192.168.0.12"

# VTPORT The service port that the NSVT service is listening
#		on (Usually 1570)
VTPORT="1570"

# JESPORT 	The service port that JES listens to on this host for VT
#			Javelin	connections.  This can be any port but it is
#			required that:
#				a.	This port must be allowed through any exterior
#					firewalls.
#		         b.	The client must have the same port configured
#					in default.j92
#					(or encrypt.j92 if that is what you are using).
JESPORT="1570"

# These are concatenated here for use in the init.d script.
JESARGS="$VTNAME $VTPORT $JESPORT"

--
     *** e-mail is not a secure channel ***
mailto:byrnejb.<token>@harte-lyne.ca