[CentOS] Re: firefox update extensions

Adam Gibson agibson at ptm.com
Thu Oct 27 20:11:03 UTC 2005

Dave wrote:
> On 10/27/05, Greg Knaddison <greg.knaddison at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>AFAIK the extension updates only work some of the time anyway.  Are
>>you sure that there are extensions in Firefox that should be getting
>>updated but that are not?
>>
>>Can you provide examples of what those might be?
>

>  On my work PC (windows)I got a notice that Noscript had an update,
> its updated to 1.1.3.3 at home in CentOS it still 1.1.3.2. Also at
> work translate is version  0.6.0.7 and at home its 0.6.0.6
>
>  Should I get the "checking for updates" dialog box when I manually
> request an update check? If so I dont get that either.

Fedora Core 4 has the same issue.  Extension updates are disabled in
firefox.  This is a major security issue IMHO.  If a security issue is
found in an extension and the developer updates the extension, The user
will have no idea that the extension needs to be updated.  I stopped
using the RPMs of firefox that FC4 provides because of this reason and
just download the tar of firefox from the main firefox website so that
extension updates work.