[CentOS] centosplus kernel

Tony pthagonal at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 23:32:22 UTC 2005

> Just for the record, we are currently working with someone from SGI to
> get a much better implementation of XFS working with the centosplus
> kernel.
>
> I want to wait to push the centosplus unsupported kernel (2.6.9-22)
> until we have this new and much more stable version of XFS code
> implemented.

Hmm- as time ticks past I'm starting to feel less comfortable about this
change of policy. Granted that I have no rights to complain, or to request
anything at all - and if I really felt strongly about this then I should
just grab the kernel srpm and build it myself.

I am still using the 2.6.9-11.106.unsupported kernel on one box in order to
let me use the mythtv rpms from the atrpms repository - and I only need it
to gain the extra tv card drivers that aren't in the standard centos kernel.
So I now have a box with an obscure port facing the 'net with a slightly
out-of-date kernel. Not a huge issue for me, and as I said, if I cared more
about it I'd get down and do some rpmbuilding of my own. But nevertheless
this appears to be a shift of policy for what I understood (quite possibly
incorrectly) the centosplus kernel to be about.

I don't suppose you'd consider having a centosplusplus or centosextreme
repository where you push the kernel much further than centosplus- and keep
centosplus very close to the 'proper' centos kernel for those of us who just
want a few extra modules switched back on but also want to stick as close as
possible to the main kernel?

Thanks for all your efforts- please don't take this as a complaint at all,
the whole centos team does an awesome job - I'm really trying to be as
constructive as possible with this mail.

--
Cheers,

Tony