[CentOS] Headline - Linux misses Windows of opportunity

Sat Oct 1 01:13:26 UTC 2005
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Friday 30 September 2005 04:21, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > Oh, quick quiz: what happens to a CentOS box when you reboot after
> > running out of disk space on the / filesystem?  You get a graphical login
> > just fine, but then you can't login (you login, and it returns you to a
> > login).  Not hard to fix, but very mysterious to the newbie.

> I lost my Revelation password database because a disk-full condition
> recently. An 2 week old backup didn't have some important passwords.

Yeah, I lost some e-mail filters once that way, too, when my /home partition
filled up.  A 'high-water' mark utility probably has been written, and I know
logwatch can do periodic e-mails that, if you take the time to read them, can
give you advance notice of a disk full impending, but there are those times
when the disk might get full quite suddenly (particularly the /var partition
if something creates log spew (which, with SELinux, can happen extremely
quickly)).

> BTW A tool that mails out when the disk is full is not a good solution...

No kidding.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology