[CentOS] MythTV on Centos 4

Sat Oct 1 04:07:57 UTC 2005
Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com>

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 12:40, Kirk Bocek wrote:
> Scot, I believe you said you were using the IR receiver on the PVR-350, right? Do you
> have any notes or gotcha's on getting it to work. So far, I'm having no luck.
>
> I've got ivtv installed and have got my X session running on the PVR-350's frame
> buffer. Now I'm trying to get the IR receiver working but am getting no output out of
> irw.
>
> I've got lirc 0.7.2 installed. I've got:
>
> 	alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
>
> in modprobe.conf. When I modprobe lirc_i2c it whines about bttv and cx8800 (which
> aren't installed) then says:
>
> lirc_i2c: chip found @ 0x18 (Hauppauge IR)
> ivtv: i2c attach to card #0 ok [client=Hauppauge IR, addr=18]
> lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 10
>
> So it looks like the two pieces are talking. the /dev entries seem to be correct. But
>   I get no output at all from irw. No errors either. I even tried plugging in a
> second Hauppauge IR receiver into the card that I had laying around.
>
> Do you have any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Kirk

On my masterbackend/frontend system it uses FC3 which is probably closer
to Centos 4.1 (assume that is the version you are using).

I have the following entries in /etc/modprobe.conf:

alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
# --- BEGIN: lirc setup ---
install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
lirc_i2c
# --- END: lirc setup ---

I believe I found that in Jarod's guide for FC3.  The FC4 install used
these same lines.  When I set this up on the slave backend/frontend
system lirc worked first time with irw and then with mythtv.

I just followed the section in Jarod's guide for setting this up.  Check
for typos and walk through each step carefully.  Make sure 61 is the
right number for the device.  Look for the major number 61 in the /dev
directory.  Should be lirc device or grep for 61.

And just to make sure the simple things are taken care of, check that
you put the batteries in the remote.  And that they are installed
correctly. :)