[CentOS] Recommendation(s)

Sat Oct 1 16:26:45 UTC 2005
Sam Drinkard <sam at wa4phy.net>

The problem is probably not so much with the OS as it is the several
software packages involved. First, there is the WRF numerical weather
model, then there is the MPICH implementation, then there is the netcdf
libraries, and lastly, the portland group fortran compiler. From what
I've been able to glean from archived messages, support links, and
support staff as well, this whole mess is probably not even close to
working under the conditions of the compile, however it will compile and
run under the single threaded model, with no nesting. The output of the
attempted execution is:

./real.exe: /usr/pgi/linux86-64/6.0/lib/libpthread.so.0: version
`GLIBC_2.3.3' not found (required by /lib64/tls/librt.so.1)

The three executables, real.exe, wrf.exe, and ndown.exe all compile with
no errors. The environment it *should* be running under of course would
be either open mp, or mpich if there were a cluster, however in this
situation, there is but the single machine, a dual Xeon system with the
4.1 release of CentOS. Attempting to execute under OMP or mpich both
gives the same error message as above, so there is definately a runtime
problem. I am not positive if it is coming from the portland group
compiler output, the mpi compiler, or what, but from the message, it
leads me to believe it could in fact be a portland group compile
problem. Others have built the software and have it run under earlier
versions of RH, FC, etc., but I've not seen or read anyone using any of
the 4.x branches of any of the OS'. I am not a programmer in any sense
of the word. So, that's pretty much the extent of the situation. I do
know there is a problem with the intel fortran compiler 9.0.21, and the
software will NOT build or run under that situation. Intel is supposedly
working on a fix, but it takes about 90+ minutes to compile the code,
and from what I've seen, 1.3gb of memory at most during the compile process.

--
Snowman