[CentOS] OS does not see all my RAM

Mon Oct 3 16:09:37 UTC 2005
Bill Baird <Bill.Baird at phoenixmi.com>

Make sure "System Install Mode"(or something close to that) is not enabled in the bios.  If it is enabled, it will limit the system to 256MB of ram for compatibility of some OS installations.

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of Robin Mordasiewicz
Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 10:34 AM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: [CentOS] OS does not see all my RAM

My BIOS shows all my RAM, but when I boot up linux it does not see all the RAM

I have two one GIG sticks of RAM, which show up in my bios, but when typing free, I see that it only shows 256Megs.

Is there a way to specify the amount of RAM if linux cannot detect this, or how can I fix/tweak the OS to recognize the amount of RAM

my OS is centos-4-x86_64 on a DELL 1850

[root at smtcorav02 ~ ]# free
Mem:        251360     220136      31224          0       3932      64748
-/+ buffers/cache:     151456      99904
Swap:       524280          0     524280