[CentOS] Centos for SPARC- when?

Tue Oct 4 12:30:52 UTC 2005
Pasi Pirhonen <upi at iki.fi>

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 06:42:50AM -0400, Chris Mauritz wrote:

> Just curious...why would you want to run CentOS on a sparc system
> instead of Slowlaris?  Or have I just answered my own question?  8-)

For me, as who is crunching this together, it's matter of challenging
myself to see if i can pull yet another arch from my sleeve. Solaris
would work better and propably even faster on hardware i do have, but
for me, and some others too, it might be just a set of features
available which is driving towards Linux/sparc. Unified set of packages
(at least mostly) among working, familiar, package management.

I've been past 'i do have time for peeking/poking other OS too' a long
time now, so Solaris is bit blurry area for me now. I do easily
remember things like being able to install screen easily just to see
it's not working and not even complaining during installation for
missing ncurses. With correctly packaged RPMS one could not do such
things by accident.

Another matter might be hardware support for some people. Most of the
targetted hardware being PCI, Linux might provide wider support of
hardware than Solaris - at least it does for me :)

So there might be numerous reason why people would like to run Linux
instead of Solarsis on sparc hardware.

Then there is Aurora Project. w/o some of the patches made there, o'd
be not even able to to hack CentOS-4 codebase to work on sparc at all.
Aurora being targeted a little different now as they are re-building
Fedora Core and i'd say CentOS-4 target would be long term
maintainability and not so much all the cool bleeding edge. Both can
co-exists and benefit from each other tho.

--
Pasi Pirhonen - upi at iki.fi - http://iki.fi/upi/