[CentOS] LVM & Knoppix

Tue Oct 4 14:32:17 UTC 2005
Robert <kerplop at sbcglobal.net>

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:

> Quoting Robert <kerplop at sbcglobal.net>:
>
>> Well, I *could* simply boot one of the three CentOS kernels in GRUB's
>> repertoire just as I do on those rare occasions I boot.   I was
>> hoping someone could point me to a utility that will undo the LVM
>> mess permanently.  I think I've figured out a way to accomodate my
>> current need to have my data available when booted into KNOPPIX but I
>> won't be able to try until tomorrow.
>

> The fact that Konppix doesn't include userland LVM utilities is
> shortcomming of
> Knoppix.  It does not mean that LVM is a mess.  Actually I was extremely
> dissapointed when I found that Knoppix does not have LVM utilities,
> not even in
> DVD version (8GB of all kinds of stupidities you can imagine, but no
> space for
> 2MB LVM package).
>
> Maybe you should send email to Klaus and ask him to finally start
> including the
> darn utilities as part of the base system, at least on DVD.
>
> Said that, the kernel that comes with Knoppix has LVM support
> enabled.  All you
> need are userland utilities.  You can install them over network using
> dpkg (or
> whatever package maintance utilitiy is called in Debian) once you are
> booted
> into Knoppix.  There are instructions for doing that somewhere someplace
> (probably typing "knoppix lvm" in Google would find them).  If you
> have USB
> key, or something similar, you can place the userland LVM utilities on
> it, so
> you don't have to install them each time you boot into Knoppix (or
> maybe you
> could rebuild your own version of Koppix CD which will have them).

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I will search for the
utilities and put them on a USB key about 1 cup of coffee from now.
Like you, if the package is only a few MB, I find it strange that it
wasn't included in the 3.2GB DVD iso.
I'm sure LVM is great stuff when you have a need for it but when I
discovered last night that I couldn't mount my CentOS partition, it
brought back memories of Max-Blast and its cousins.