[CentOS] Resource usage. Was: Headline - Linux misses Windows of opportunity

Wed Oct 5 05:26:32 UTC 2005
John Newbigin <jnewbigin at ict.swin.edu.au>

Alfred von Campe wrote:

> John:
>
>> This is a script I use on all my machines.  Feel free to hack as
>> required.
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> cat /proc/meminfo | grep ^Swap: | awk 'BEGIN {n = 3; d = 4} {total =
>> $2 / 1024 ; used = $3 / 1024; if((total * n) < (used * d
>> )) { printf "Swap usage is over %d/%d\n", n, d}}'
>

> Be careful, this will no longer work in CentOS 4 because the format of
> /proc/meminfo has changed.
Don't you hate that.  I'll change it to extract values like the rest of
the script.

It is not that big a problem though, because I have found that if a
machine gets to 3/4 swap usage it is going down big time and a warning
email is not going to save it.  Any email you send about the problem
won't delivered until after you give the box the big finger...
especially if the machine is your mail server.

John.