[CentOS] MythTV on Centos 4 - Solved

Fri Oct 7 00:17:43 UTC 2005
Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com>

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 18:15, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 10:56, John Hinton wrote:
>
> > Got some side questions.... Does this system have the ability to record
> > HDTV?
>
> I don't think anything you can buy for a PC will record HDTV from cable
> systems - at least in the US.\

There are HDTV cards available but as you imply I believe these are for
over the air broadcasts.  I would think that would include at least some
of the channels sent out over a cable system.

http://pchdtv.com/hd_3000.html
http://wendy.seltzer.org/mythtv/

As I mentioned in another message I believe I read that cable companies
must provide a firewire interface for digital content.  Not sure that
includes the HDTV content or not but would suspect that it would.

Of course I also read that as of July 2005 they have passed laws making
it illegal to make HDTV cards that don't support broadcast flags.

Suspect there will be a big battle over this in the next year or two as
HDTV becomes more common and people find that they are unable to record
and time shift shows.