[CentOS] Lost my menu options again - KDE messes with Gnome?

Fri Oct 7 13:00:06 UTC 2005
Phil Schaffner <Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov>

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 21:03 +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> I'm on board with that. But when I wanted to install Quanta, I was
> given
> advice on this list that the KDE repos necessary to get it were safe.

Opinions and quality of advice will vary.  [I remember causing you to
corrupt a M$ vfat disk by not giving enough warnings on fstab flags that
caused alfa dosfsck to run.]  Advice on KDE repos seems, at best, mixed
- seems to work well for some, but other knowledgeable people strongly
advise against it.

> I'm not pointing fingers, just saying that I'm in a bit of a swirling
> vortex of advice, and it doesn't always line up. And I don't have the
> skills to to discern which side of advice that conflicts that I should
> follow.

<sarcasm>
So what else is new? :-)
</sarcasm>

If anyone has a good answer for this problem, I'm sure the whole open-
source community would like to hear it.  Often it's going to be cut-and-
try even for the most knowledgeable.

> If I want to install something like Quanta, or any other software that
> isn't in Dag or the official CentOS repos, then I might as well just
> consider it not available?

If I can't find things I want/need in EL4 repos (or in general distro-
specific repos), I try to find *.src.rpm, rebuild, and populate my local
repos.  If this fails, I sometimes "cherry-pick" other repos for binary
rpms, or [as a last resort] source tarballs, but enabling non-EL-
compatible repos is to be avoided IMHO.

Which EL4 repos to use is also, unfortunately, more of an art than a
science.  I find kbs, dag, and dries generally play well together and
with the core repos, but atrpms is much trickier, even for EL4 packages
- I just cherry-pick that one, usually with Smart to help.

Probably not very helpful, by my $0.02.

Phil