[CentOS] Can't access files at localhost

Tue Oct 11 18:12:01 UTC 2005
Steven Vishoot <sir_funzone at yahoo.com>

--- Dave Gutteridge <dave at tokyocomedy.com> wrote:

> I've created a symlink inside my /var/www/html/
> folder called "web",
> which is points to a my /home/dave/web directory.
>
> Inside that directory, I created a folder for my web
> site called
> "website".
>
> I thought I should be able to access that web site
> through FireFox by
> going to either:
>
> httpd://localhost/web/website
>
> ... or:
>
> http://localhost/web/website
>
> ... but I just get errors. It says that httpd is not
> a registered
> protocol, and the connection to
> localhost/web/website was refused.
>
> Am I not addressing these sites correctly? Have I
> muddled the directory
> trees or http protocols somehow?
>
> Just to be clear, the directory with all the html
> and php files is:
>
> /home/dave/web/website
>
> The symlink is:
>
> /var/www/html/web
>
> Dave

What little i know about Apache, but i thought when
going through the web browser it treats it like a
other user so that will not have access to the
directory /home/dave/web/website. Is it asking for a
user and password when you go through the web browser?
This one i am Probably way off, but that is my .02
cents worth to think about.

Steven

"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section, it said 'Requires Windows or better'. So I installed Linux."