[CentOS] Should I and can I upgrade GTK+/PyGTK?

Wed Oct 12 12:47:14 UTC 2005
Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com>

Dave Gutteridge wrote:

>I'm trying out different music players. One that looks promising is
>called Quod Libet:
>http://www.sacredchao.net/quodlibet
>
>I downloaded the tar file and attempted to install it. I got this
>message:
>
>[dave at localhost quodlibet-0.13.1]$ ./quodlibet.py
>E: You need GTK+ 2.6 and PyGTK 2.6 or greater.
>E: You have GTK+ 2.4.13 and PyGTK 2.4.0.
>E: Please upgrade GTK+/PyGTK.
>
>I tried a YUM update, but it didn't say anything about new versions of
>GTK or PyGTK.
>
>What am I not understanding about this situation?

Perhaps I'm just old/lazy/cranky, but you JUST got your system working
after a lot of contortions and help from the list and now you want to
break it again?  Why not use a player that is supported "out of the box"
and spend your time using the system instead of wrestling with it?  When
you're a bit more familiar with Linux and CentOS, that would be a good
time to start digging into things.  People here, at least in my
experience, are extremely patient and helpful, but perhaps that
sentiment might wane in the face of a steady stream of self inflicted
wounds..  8-)

And now the answer...

Those versions aren't available in the yum repository because Redhat
hasn't yet updated their packages in RHEL4.  CentOS tracks their
changes.  If you want these newer versions of GTK and the python
extensions, you can certainly divert off the beaten track and install
them yourself.  It might work without incident.  It might work, but
break other applications.  It might not work at all.   8-)

Best regards,