[CentOS] 4.2 upgrade and kernels

Sat Oct 15 15:25:39 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-15 at 07:55 -0600, Collins Richey wrote:
> Just curious about kernel requirements after the upgrade. I've been
> running the 2.6.9-11.106.unsupported kernel for some time. Now I see
> that the base kernel is up to 2.6.9-22.EL.
>
> Are there any plans to upgrade the unsupported kernel?

Yes - I am working on it today :)

> Should I be using the newer kernel after the upgrade?
Maybe - If you did not exclude the kernel from [base] and [updates] per
the instructions here:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4.2/centosplus/Readme.txt

Then yes, you will have the newer kernel ... that is not a centosplus
kernel.

> Does it make any difference?

Maybe - If you needed something in the CentOS Plus kernel (ntfs,
reiserfs, xfs, video4linux, appletalk, etc.) then that is probably no
longer functioning.

> Not trying to be pushy; just looking for information.
>
> Thanks for all the good work, and tons of it.

You're welcome :)