[CentOS] Hosed by 4.2

Sun Oct 16 19:34:13 UTC 2005
Maciej Żenczykowski <maze at cela.pl>

I installed Centos 4.2 the day it was released.
It was a 512MB Ram, Sempron 2800+, Asus K8N-E Deluxe motherboard.
The install from DVD went fine.
However the computer wouldn't boot.
Grub froze after flashing the Loading stage 2 screen with a blank screen.
Booting from rescue resulted in rescue mode (anaconda I assume) finishing
with an error just after I selected network interfaces on.
Booting from rescue again (with network off) and fixing grub.conf not to
use the splash screen didn't help - still didn't boot from HDD.
Finally I rebooted from rescue and reinstalled grub - this time the
computer boots normally.
I went through firstboot configuration and X booted ok and I logged into
gdm, did some minor configuration tasks (nothing to do with X, mostly
iptables related stuff, adding a user, copying a few DVDs as iso images
onto the 120GB disk for later and to speed access) and rebooted.
This time the computer froze upon loading the X server.  Mouse would work
(move a big block of horizontal random colored lines over a screen full of
horizontal random colored lines) but keyboard wouldn't (not leds not
ctrl+alt+backspac).
Had to do a reset.
This time after verifying nothing got borked on disk it froze again.
Had to switch to run level 4 do disable gdm.
Since then the system has been running, but it doesn't seem to be very
snappy (but that might not be the OS's fault).

Comments?
Cheers,
Maciej Z.