[CentOS] Thanks, good bye, and an observation from a newbie.

Sun Oct 16 20:01:43 UTC 2005
Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com>

On 10/16/05, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-10-16 at 11:53, Collins Richey wrote:
>

> Ubuntu hasn't been through a "hard" upgrade yet - like the Linux
> 2.4 ->2.6 change that older distros have done.  It will be
> interesting to see if they can manage system-level stability
> while still staying current with applications.

That's a good point. My experience with the Kubuntu 5.04 -> 5.10
upgrade was pretty strange, if not hard,  and not something a newbie
could have dealt with. The upgrade seemed to come in several chunks
(!!!) over a few days. One chunk totally destroyed X requiring a boot
to safe mode to get the final chunk.

Ah well, to stray back ON TOPIC, CentOS is a little more stable than
that, although it appears that our friends running ATI cards, as
always, have a little bit of pain with the 4.1 -> 4.2 upgrade.

--
Collins Richey
      Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code ... If you write