[CentOS] Hosed by 4.2

Mon Oct 17 10:02:48 UTC 2005

Hi Robert,

Robert wrote:
>> why did you manually need to install the kernel ?
>

> Because a "yum update kernel" offered to install the -SMP kernel.  This
> is, no doubt, an artifact of anaconda & associates deciding at the time
> CentOS4 was first installed that an SMP kernel was appropriate for an
> Athlon XP in an ASUS A7NX8 ver.2 deluxe m/b, compounded by my packrat
> reluctance to throw it away at the outset.

if you remove the kernel-smp ( which, based on your statement - you dont
seem to be using) yum should not update it :) technically, only packages
already installed are updated ( or pkgs that satisfy depends for other
pkgs ).

Anyway, if anaconda left behind a smp kenel on UP machine, sounds like a
bugreport to me.....

> I'm reasonably sure everything is gonna be O.K. Yum is one of the
> packages that gets reported twice:

sounds like you are going to have a fun filled Monday morning. I forsee
rpm and coffee in your immediate future. Be a good idea to backup the
rpmdb somewhere. Just in case.

remove everything apart from the Packages file from /var/lib/rpm - then
rebuild the db ( rpm -v --rebuilddb ). then try work with the -V option
to verify what you have what rpm thinks you have.

- K