[CentOS] Can't install CentOS4

Mon Oct 17 15:28:58 UTC 2005
Ajay Sharma <ssharma at revsharecorp.com>

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Ajay Sharma wrote:
>
>> My email server is running CentOS 3 and I can't upgrade it to
>> CentOS 4 using the CD's.  At first I thought it was the old
>> Megaraid card (that's no longer supported), so I replaced that with
>>  a new card. I've tried ISO's from CentOS 4, 4.1 and now 4.2 which
>> I've tested and booted in other machines.  Just not this one.
>

> if the cd-rom wont boot this machine, when it does boot on another
> machine - the most likely cause would be bad cd-rom or cd-rom cant
> read cd-media.

I guess that's possible, but wouldn't it crap out on the "Loading
vmlinuz....." part?  It freezes up right in the middle of kernel
hardware detection phase.

> you could try booting over the network using PXE or just use the
> kernel+initrd from the pxe images, add them to the local grub loader,
>  boot into a network install.

It certainly something to try....

> remember that there is no CentOS3 to CentOS4 upgrade path, you need
> to boot with the  'upgradeany' option and force CentOS4 onto the
> machine.
>
> Perhaps, as has already been suggested, a fresh install might be
> better ?

Whoops, I forgot to mention that in my email.  I'm not upgrading the
machine, I'm going to wipe it out and install a clean copy of CentOS4.
I only broght up CentOS 3 to show that the machine isn't 'broken' and
I'm able to install linux on there.  It just doesn't like CentOS 4 for
some reason.

Tony Wicks wrote:
> If you are having too many problems upgrading and don't want to start
>  from scratch, why not stay put on Centos3.x ?

Just to be clear, I am starting from scratch.  When I boot from the CD
it loads fine but then freezes right after the kernel says something
about the AGP video card.

And I want to upgrade for the 2.6 kernel and I also want to put reiserfs
on this server.  The machine is getting a little old and I think this
will help the performance for the next year or two before we retire it
for good.

--Ajay