[CentOS] Thanks, good bye, and an observation from a newbie. (beaten like a dead horse)

Mon Oct 17 22:10:56 UTC 2005
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 14:45, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If you have to understand anything about a package manager,
> > then it isn't doing it's job - unless you mean building the
> > packages.
>
> Dependency checking, by its very nature, is "bothersome."
> And packages that rely on each other are also "bothersome."
>
> If we want to solve these issues, we need to:
> - Package everything as executables
> - Package everything required in those executables
> - Not allow more than 1 version to co-exist

Or version them in ways that do allow them to co-exist.  Hopefully
somewhat short of requiring virtual machines to isolate them. But
other than the kernel, RPM doesn't seem real happy about installing
them, and the kernel by nature only allows one copy to be used at
once.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com