[CentOS] Backup Solutions based on Linux

Thu Oct 20 22:55:13 UTC 2005
Tim Edwards <tim at registriesltd.com.au>

Joe Polk wrote:
> I'm having particular issues running Veritas in my Windows environment.
> The agent just seems to baulk on some servers. I've looked into backup
> solutions running on Linux before but there doesn't seem to be much. Is
> anyone familiar with something that has Windows agents and yet managed
> by Linux?

Have a look at Amanda. The good thing is its open source and
under-the-hood it uses the basic Linux programs like tar or dump to do
the backup, meaning its easy to do restores even when you don't have
indexes. The bad thing is there's no GUI for it and setting it up first
time can be a little bit complicated, but once you get it setup its very
reliable.

--
Tim Edwards