[CentOS] Strange soundcard problem w/4.2

Sun Oct 23 16:04:24 UTC 2005
Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com>

Chris Mauritz wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm trying to repurpose an unused machine (athlon XP 3000+) for my
> young daughter to use.  It's on a motherboard with a VIA KT880 chipset
> and VIA integrated soundcard (VIA 8237).  The card seems to be
> detected during boot time and shows up in the system log, but when I
> try to actually use the sound card within Gnome, there's no sound.
> The device is detected, but there's no sound.
>
> So I figured this may be an "oddball" chipset, so I disabled the
> onboard sound device and installed a vanilla Soundblaster Live! card.
> Again, the card seems to be detected by the kernel at boot time, but
> there's no sound and the soundcard detection utility reports "no sound
> card detected."  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated since my
> daughter is now camped at my expensive laptop so she can play tux
> racer (a great game for kids, BTW).  :-)

Hate to follow-up my own posting, but...

Out of nowhere, kudzu informed me that it "found" the VIA chipset when I
tried using that again.  And now, audio magically works.  I didn't
change anything other than removing the soundblaster card and turning
the integrated sound back on in the motherboard bios.

Very odd....

Cheers,