[CentOS] vsftpd failing since upgrade to 4.2

Mon Oct 24 05:02:12 UTC 2005
Matt Arnilo S. Baluyos (Mailing Lists) <matt.baluyos.lists at gmail.com>

On 10/24/05, scott <scott.list at mlec.net> wrote:
> My vsftpd was working.  I use it configured via xinetd and turn it off
> (disabled = yes)  when I'm not using it to keep the bad guys from hammering
> on it.
>
> Recently I upgraded to 4.2 (via yum update).  That' the only change I know
> of on the system.  And I didn't have any problems with it.
>
> Today when I try to ftp, i enabled it in xinetd.d (with disable = no and a
> "service xinetd restart")  But I can't connect.  Well, I connect, but then
> I'm dropped with the reply:
>
> 500 OOPS: cannot open config file:/etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf

i've run across this error message also (although i'm not so sure if
it's because of the 4.2 upgrade).

try doing a tail -f on /var/log/messages and see if you're getting
SELinux errors ("avc denied") whenever you try to do something on
vsftpd.

my vsftpd is working now though. what i did was to just reboot the
system. i think it may have been that the SELinux labels on your
vsftpd files have not yet been updated.

--
Stand before it and there is no beginning.
Follow it and there is no end.