[CentOS] Which imapd?

Mon Oct 24 10:44:48 UTC 2005

jean-sebastien Hubert wrote:
> Cyrus is very hard to install/configure/manage.

Like I said before, I dont agree with that point of view at all - Cyrus
is an excellent imapd that scales very well, from 3 user systems to
45,000 user systems ( the largest that I've seen, there are most likely
larger setup's out there ).

There is an old Indian saying : things you know about tend to be easy -
things you have no clue about, tend to be really hard.

When such arguments are raised, I find it has great significance, since
it explains the entire argument over. So if you comfort zone is Courier,
so be it, nothing wrong with that, use Courier - its a good email
solution - but dont slag off Cyrus because of your mindset.

> Maybe; the problem with cyrus is when you use it with mysql and postfix
> .. you need to recompile so many stuff , and more you
> modify your distrib, more it's hard to apply security updates.

You dont need to rebuild anything in order to get cyrus-imapd working
with mysql, it works out of the box as supplied within CentOS4. Again, a
point that emphasis your knowledge pool lies elsewhere.

> Courier-imap is, when you compare, far easy to configure.

Incorrect again. Its actually courier that you are going to need to
rebuild from source, maintain and test yourself ( which includes
tracking security fix's and vuln's over the Internet, rebuilding and
testing on your own each time there is a fix etc, and if that fix
involves a version update that breaks configs.... foobar! ). I think you
missed my point about app acquisition + maint from the last email.

Also,  we're drifting off here, Morten ( the OP ) wanted to know what
imapd to use with the distro, Since Dovecot and Cyrus are included
within the distro, my recommendation is going to be -> use one of them.
Dovecot works out of the box, cyrus needs a couple of lines edited.

- K