[CentOS] More than 1 gcc version?

Mon Oct 24 16:27:58 UTC 2005
Brian T. Brunner <brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com>

"flame" == "stoopidly pedantic"... NOT a discussion I want to get into again.

It *is* 5 years after it was written, by folks no longer here, (actually 10 years)
and it WORKED FLAWLESSLY when written.
Code + compiler -> successful product.

The compiler changed, it's current behavior is broken from my point of view!
This compiler broken-ness drives a decision to NOT upgrade to the
current (dysfunctional) compiler nor the OS it rode in on.

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
(610)796-5838

Quoting "Brian T. Brunner" <brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com>:

> Not necessarily... gcc 2.9x LOVES my code, and the program built
> under it runs like a champ.

<flame mode="on">
"Try this and see if compiler or interpretter complains" approach is
discutably
OK for one-time use Perl scripts.  It's a very bad approach for C code that
should be used (and, oh my God recompiled) 5 years after it was written.
</flame>

If your code conforms to ANSI, file a bug with gcc folks.  If it
doesn't conform
with ANSI, it's you who are at fault.  Don't blame the compiler for your
mistakes of the past.