[CentOS] Two small issues after upgrade to 4.2 -- [OT] IPv4 LINKLOCAL

Mon Oct 24 22:53:03 UTC 2005
Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com>

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 18:11, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 16:55, Scot L. Harris wrote:
>
> > If you disable zeroconf the 169.254 entry is dropped.  What use is it?
> > Nothing I have found explains what it is used for or why I need it on my
> > systems.  Waving your hands and saying don't be bothered by the
> > existence of such entries does not explain what it is used for.  Getting
> > rid of it does not impact the systems either.  Kind of like an appendix.
> > :)
>
> The idea is that you can plug machines into a local network and have
> them talk to each other with no setup and no preconfigured DHCP service.
> Each picks some more-or-less random and hopefully unique address in
> this subnet.  Windows boxes will do it if a DHCP request times out.
> Machines can find and access each other by name with broadcast based
> naming like netbios or dns over multicast like rendezvous.

I understand what it is suppose to do.  But as far as I can tell it has
never been used.  Has anyone actually used zeroconf for this?  Other
than to test it to see if it actually works?