[CentOS] Which imapd?

Tue Oct 25 06:19:48 UTC 2005
jean-sebastien Hubert <security at air-austral.com>

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:

> Quoting jean-sebastien Hubert <security at air-austral.com>:
>
>> Just use google; you will see that Cyrus is hard to make it run
>> correctly.
>

> It's an urban legend that got a life of its own.  Boooo, it's Cyrus,
> complicated.

Try to make in run on a non RHAS4 system:
Yes, if you want cyrus+mysql+sieve+ a web interface to admin accounts:
Yes, it's hard to configure it.
Ok, if you use a "cyrus ready" distro, 95 percent of the work is done,
but in the other case ..
It's not a urban legend, I said that because I did it, that's all.

> Doesn't have much ground in reality.  Most of those people don't
> know about the concept of separate MTA and LDA (sendmail *never*
> writes mail to
> mailboxes, and doesn't have the clue what format your mailboxes are
> stored on
> the disk).  And they don't have a clue about bunch of other stuff
> too.  For
> them, it would be equally hard to configure anything else that:
>
> a) doesn't store mailboxes in pre-historic mailbox format in /var/mail
> (or
> /var/spool/mail, depending on OS version)
> b) doesn't use (or at least doesn't need to use) system accounts for
> authentication

Thanks for the scorning comparison ... "those" people have could be
smart you know, and maybe they think we have other thinks to
do than build cyrus and postfix by themselve ..

> Cyrus is very easy to configure.  But you need to know few (very)
> basic concepts
> how mail delivery works.  And frankly, somebody who calls himself system
> administrator of an mail server *must* know that stuff.

I agree .. but did you try to configure cyrus in Debian Woody ??? I'm
not sure ....