[CentOS] Minimal server install and a few other questions.....

Thu Oct 27 12:23:04 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 22:08 +1000, Bards1888 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering what is the smallest install that anyone has managed
> with 4 (4.2 to be precise) ? I'm looking at a machine running as a VPN
> in a DMZ, so I'm going to remove/NOT INSTALL things like gcc, X,  etc.
> I'm planning on putting this on a 1gb USB stick and booting from it.

I have removed items after install and gotten down to about 550 mb on a
CentOS-4 install.

> That reminds me, was there going to be a 1 CD server install image ?

Yes, we are working on trimming it to fit on a 700mb disc and to have
the same packages for x86_64 and i386.

> The other thing I noticed is that if I install on x86_64 I get around
> 400mb in /usr/lib *and* /usr/lib64, is this entirely necessary ?
> Especially if I dont want the 32bit stuff ? How can one tell which
> packages are responsible for the libs in /usr/lib/ ?  I tried a random
> filem from that directory;
>
> [root at services lib]# rpm -q --whatprovides libOggFLAC.so.1
> flac-1.1.0-7
> [root at services lib]# rpm -qa | grep -i flac
> flac-1.1.0-7
> [root at services lib]# rpm -qi flac-1.1.0-7
> Name        : flac                         Relocations: (not relocatable)
> Version     : 1.1.0                             Vendor: CentOS
> Release     : 7                             Build Date: Tue 22 Feb 2005
> 10:56:45 EST
> Install Date: Wed 13 Apr 2005 11:50:50 EST      Build Host:
> guru.build.karan.org
> Group       : Applications/Multimedia       Source RPM: flac-1.1.0-7.src.rpm
> Size        : 707386                           License: LGPL/GPL
> Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Sun 27 Feb 2005 06:37:33 EST, Key ID
> a53d0bab443e1821
> Packager    : Karanbir Singh <kbsingh at centos.org>
> URL         : http://flac.sourceforge.net/
> Summary     : An encoder/decoder for the Free Lossless Audio Codec.
> Description :
> FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec. Grossly oversimplified, FLAC
> is similar to Ogg Vorbis, but lossless. The FLAC project consists of
> the stream format, reference encoders and decoders in library form,
> flac, a command-line program to encode and decode FLAC files, metaflac,
> a command-line metadata editor for FLAC files and input plugins for
> various music players (the xmms plugin is in a sub-package).
>

> I cant see an 'arch' in there anywhere, however on the Centos DVD I
> found flac for both i386 and x86_64.

you need to add this line to the .rpmmacros for the user that you want
to see both arches for:

%_query_all_fmt %%{name}-%%{version}-%%{release}.%%{arch}

> So why are there rpms for both archs with the x86_64 build ?

because that is how the upstream provider releases it .. and we follow
suit.

The real reason is so that people can have things like openoffice.org
and festival and plugins for mozilla, etc ... these do not build in
x86_64 mode.

You can run both i386 and x86_64 stuff on the x86_64.

once you make the above change to .rpmmacros, you can do:

rpm -qa | grep i386
(to see i386 packages)

and

rpm -e `rpm -qa | grep i386`
(to remove i386 packages)

when installing via yum, if you want to ensure only the x86_64 package
gets installed, do:

yum install iptraf.x86_64

and NOT

yum install iptraf