[CentOS] Opteron + Nvidia + Centos 4.2 i386 = Thud

Thu Oct 27 14:08:01 UTC 2005
Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 at duke.edu>

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 at 3:02pm, Jake Grimmett wrote

> Basically, nine times out of ten, the boxes will hang when they try to re-load
> X...  and just sit there with the keyboards Caps and Scroll lock LED's
> flashing. The only way out is the reset button.
>
> The working fixes I have so far found are to either use a non-smp kernel
> (2.6.9-22.EL) or to use the VESA X driver. Neither is a proper solution as
> the machines are used for 3D modeling.

Out of curiosity, would it be possible to try x86_64 4.2?  Our graphics
workstation here (with similar hardware to yours) runs the x86_64 version
(although we haven't moved to 4.2 yet) quite well.  And, Nvidia's x86_64
drivers contain 32bit compat libraries, so standard x86 apps get the
hardware acceleration as do x86_64 ones.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering