[CentOS] Question on Quad Opteron HP DL 585

Thu Oct 27 15:33:01 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <thebs413 at earthlink.net>

Sivakumar Raju <sivakumar.raju at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a HP DL 585 server with Quad Opteron processors and
> 32 Gbytes of RAM.
> I would like to know whether CentOS 3.5 x86_64 will
> recognize all 4 CPUs and 32 Gbytes of RAM.

I had almost the exact same configuration on a couple of
servers months ago.  In fact, these systems are a major
mainstay of RHEL deployments.  I ran RHEL3 U3 and U4 fine on
them, detected everything out-of-the-box.  Even Fedora Core 3
did too.

CentOS kernels should be a 1:1 rebuild of RHEL, so you should
see all hardware supported.

> I will also running EDA tools like PriteTime, and Magma on
> this server.

Nice.  It's been years since I've had to support leading edge
EDA tools (I left the semiconductor industry over 3 years
ago).

> Does CentOS has any issues with these tools?

If they are certified against RHEL3, then they should not.

But I have to say I have never run CentOS on my former DL585
systems, just RHEL3 (and FC a few times).